Wednesday 9 May 2012

Birthday Season

I’ve come to the realisation over the past 2 months that my 11 month old has more of a social life than I do at the moment, and from all accounts, when speaking to other mums things only get more complicated as they grow up. Between ferrying children between school, sports training and competition and social gatherings there leaves very little time in a week for mum’s of teenagers, but for us, or Cooper at the very least,  it’s party season; with an invitation from one his little mates all of whom are turning one from my mother’s group arriving nearly daily. It’s exciting but exhausting all at once and I’ve quickly come to learn that having a stock of age appropriate toys in storage at home  for such events is far easier than rushing out in the morning of the party, desperate to find a park in an already overcrowded mall parking lot and trying to find something before getting home wrapping it and heading off.

I find I’m scheduling play dates and catch ups with mums and bubs well in advance and well before even contemplating accepting an invitation to after works drinks or a coffee date and not that I am complaining but I’ve learnt in lightening pace that for the next 17 years at least, my job will be bank teller, taxi and party planner to Cooper Donald Rushby. That’s not to say I’ve completely given up on catching up with my single and childless friends, but with a husband that works 60 plus hours a week it’s much harder to find that time where I don’t have to have Cooper tag along. I suppose in my favour, nearly all of my closest friends have children or are about to and so they are happy to do something to accommodate that need,they understand and can sympathise as for the friends that don’t, well that’s a whole new post I will write about later.


No comments:

Post a Comment