Thursday 26 April 2012

A working holiday

You'll often hear mother's proclaim that a holiday is just much of the same day to day chores in a different location, yes that may be true but isn't the priceless looks of excitement and curiosity on your child's face worth every second?

We headed off on our 3rd family vacation just last week to my families holiday unit on the beautiful mid north coast of Australia, and although packing the car has gotten far more challenging as Cooper gets older the time away could not have been more enjoyable. I think it's a true blessing to be able to bring Cooper and my husband to a place that has provided me with so many precious childhood memories over the last 20 years, the wonderful surf, sunny weather and great rock pools that brought a smile to my cheeky face  now does the same for my son.

I find it rather ironic that the smallest person in the family requires the most luggage, amongst the golf clubs and shared suitcase for Simon and I packed into the boot was a porta-cot, bed sheets, toys, walker, portable high chair, cloth nappies, clothes, strollers, sun shades and bottles. Thank goodness we don't own a small car! Some may find a  long car trip with a 12 month old to be challenging, fortunately for us Cooper travels really well, he happy chats away to himself, his toys or his reflection for the majority of the trip, sleeping the remainder of the time and only starting to get restless about 30 mins from our destination. By the time the 6 hour drive is over we are all ready to break free of the condiment of the car and while I leave unpacking the car to Simon, I make a start on getting the beds made and Cooper feeling settled in and comfortable.

Over the next few days we take Cooper swimming in the ocean, exploring the rock pools and feeding those pesky seagulls, and although I am not much of an ocean swimmer I am sure to show Cooper how much fun the water can be, it becomes quickly apparent though that my son is 100% fearless and does not need me to encourage him one little iota. He'd crawl straight into the surf if we'd let him, laughing and splashing as the waves white water surrounds his body, and although I am pleased that he enjoys the surf so much I am worried that he does not yet understand how dangerous and deadly the ocean can be.

Cooper is also very BOLD, he'll quickly crawl over to the nearest group of kids playing with a ball on the sand and want to be part of it, he has obviously inherited my extroverted nature but doesn't understand that he isn't quite big enough to join in just yet.

Amongst all of the good times it is a bit harder while on holiday, both Simon and I felt we deserved a break and so when it came to waking early when Cooper was ready for breakfast or arranging his meals and bed time we'd both look at each other and think "surely it's your turn", and I guess that's the difference between "holiday Helene" and "everyday Helene" I don't just get up and do what needs to be done, there's that underlying sense of selfishness while you are on a break and a tiny little bit of resentment if it's left up to you to get everything done as you would at home. Fortunately for Simon and I his family joined us for a few days, giving us both a bit of a break and together time and ensuring that that feeling of "why can't you do it" never lingered for too long.


Simon and Cooper go swimming


My beach babe


No comments:

Post a Comment