Wednesday 30 May 2012

Dear Cooper, a letter from your mummy on your first birthday..........

Dear Cooper,

    As I sit here writing you this letter 7.46pm on the 30th of May 2012 clicks over, and exactly one year ago your daddy and I welcomed you into the world and straight into our hearts. I can not believe how quickly the time has gone and how much you have grown over this year, not just physically but mentally too. You were born at 54cm long and 3.3 kilos and you were perfect. Today you are just as perfect and remarkable, you are close to 80cm long and 12 kilos heavy, cheeky, bold, and you are my pride and joy. You will know by now that you were named after my grandfather, a man who loved his family above everything else, a man of great pride and a man I respected and loved very much. You will also know that you were born the day before the anniversary of his death, and everyday I wish that he could have lived long enough to have met you, because I know that his heart would have held you closer than it had anyone before you.

This time last year you were lying on my chest, I was feeling you breath, hearing you cry and falling more in love with you each second you existed. I can not explain to you how proud I am to be your mummy, how deeply I love you or how far I'd go to protect you from ever feeling hurt or betrayed. To watch you learn to smile, laugh, crawl, clap, wave, walk and talk, to see you mimicking your daddy and copying your mummy brings me more joy than you will ever know. I could not have asked for a better gift than you are, you have been the light of my life for 365 days and you will continue to be that light until the day I die.

You may not believe it, but right from the very start you have amazed me, you always slept well, made very little fuss and were so alert and anxious to learn new things. Everyone who has met you has fallen in love with you. You are an amazing little boy and one day, in the not so distant future you will grow into an amazing man. It is my hope that your dad and I have given you the greatest possible start in life, that we have loved you enough for you to learn to trust and love others in return, that we have given you the tools to strive for success in your education, that we have instilled good value and morals and taught you not only to respect others but to respect yourself. I know it all seems impossible to accomplish in a year, but we only want to give you what you deserve in life, and we believe you deserve all your dreams and aspirations to come true.

If there was anything that I wish for you in your life, I wish that one day you will feel the absolute joy and overwhelming sense of love that comes with having a baby. I hope that one day you will look back on this letter and know exactly what I feel for you, because you feel the exact same way about your son or daughter.

I love you. Happy first birthday my darling baby boy.

With my never ending love,
Mummy xo


No comments:

Post a Comment