Tuesday 29 May 2012

A whirl wind year!

As the sun sets on Coopers first year and I sit here playing back all of the magical moments of the last 365 days in my mind and I must confess I am getting a little teary eyed. What happened to a year, where has my 54cm long, 7.4 pound new born baby boy gone? Over the course of the year I have watched my chunky little monkey develop his own little personality, learn new skills and tricks just by watching his daddy do it and get taller every week right before my eyes (well that's obvious, that's what happens when they grow right?).  I've been there for that first breath, little grin, for the cutest bubbly little laugh, I've seen him rolling over for the first time, sitting up, crawling. I saw his first steps, heard his first words (which I may add was not mum, but Dadda much to Simon's delight) and now my beautiful boy is running, talking and turning one year old.


I could not be prouder of my little man and if I'm perfectly honest I could not be prouder of Simon or I for the way we have raised him and accomplished getting through this first year together. For the first time in my life I know that being a mummy to Cooper is exactly what I was meant to do with, the one thing I feel like I am truly good at. However, as he grows older the less and less he is going to need me, and that very thought makes my heart sink, if one year can go by so quickly imagine how soon the day will come where he wants me to drop him blocks away from whereever it is that he is going just so he isn't seen getting a lift with his daggy mum, or the day he stops showing me all the things he has learnt to do with a big proud grin on his face, rather shouting "I'm not doing anything", or worse still "I hate you mum". 

Fortunately I know that these days are a while aways yet, I also know that the good times far out way the bad, but for now, all I can think about is the cold hard fact that it has been a year since I first held my precious baby boy in my arms, felt his chest against mine and heard the most beautiful cry in the world.

We were lucky enough to be able to celebrate Coopers birthday over the weekend with our families and closest friends, it's amazing just how many people love Cooper as much as we do. With approximately 60 guests coming to help us celebrate, Coopers 1st birthday was only 20 people shy of the number of guests Simon and I had attend our wedding reception. I know that Cooper will not remember his first birthday, but I will, for me his party was something I will never forget. I loved everything that holding a first birthday party embodies, from baking the cake, decorating in theme and going over the top with gifts for my special little dude. It was most definitely a day more about Simon and I (well me really) than it was a day for Cooper, although without him it would not have happened - I know that he would have been happy with a handful of sugary treats, a few new toys and 4 or 5 of his little playmates to run around with, but none the less it was the way I wanted it to be and I hope when Cooper looks back at the photos he will see just how special it was and how many people love him.


And so that's it..... a first birthday come and gone, a year of amazing memories, milestones and a bond between mother and child that will never be broken. I guess this post is short and sweet for the moment, but keep your eyes out for some more wonderful birthday shots like the one above and a little letter I've written to Cooper to mark one year since the day my life changed forever.





No comments:

Post a Comment