Monday 19 March 2012

Then comes mummy pushing a baby CARRIAGE

About 6 months before our wedding date I had been to see the doctors, Simon and I both knew we wanted to start a family as soon as possible, and after getting the once over my doctor's advice was to start trying straight away as it might take 6 - 12 months for us to fall pregnant given I was on birth control for so long. Anxious about actively trying before our wedding we delayed trying to conceive until about 6 weeks before the wedding. In my head, that 6 weeks would still allow me to fit into my wedding dress without anyone knowing should we magically fall pregnant straight away.

About 2 weeks before Simon and I were due to walk down the aisle I was starting to feel unbelievably tired and my breasts were so tender it hurt to wear a bra that had an underwire. Even though I was still 7 days away from when my next period was due I was convinced I was pregnant and so I secretly went to the chemist and bought 1 of every kind of test available.

The day was a public holiday in Canberra, coincidently it happened to be Family Day, September 27th 2010, it was 10am, Simon was still in bed and I had locked my self in the bathroom and was trying to muster up the courage to take a test so excited of the possibility that I could be pregnant. I think I was so nervous and excited that I managed to pee on my hand before correctly positioning the stick in my stream. Afterwards, I popped the stick on a piece of toilet tissue on the vanity, washed my hands and sat there for what felt like an eternity waiting. Soon enough the faintest of lines appeared, I checked again, and again, the line didn't change, it didn't get darker so the little voice in my head told me to try on another of the sticks. I did and again I spotted 2 lines, one, much fainted than the other, but none the less 2 lines, I unlocked the door, grabbed the first stick, ran into the bedroom and jumped on Simon grinning from ear to ear! "WE'RE PREGNANT" I squealed!

The next week was a blur, I was so excited about the baby growing inside me and the wedding to the love of my life I must have been in some kind of crazy love coma, but I know I managed to see the doctor for a blood test to confirm. On the Wednesday before our nuptials my best friend and maid of honour Kate flew in to Canberra, I picked her up from the airport and we headed out to collect my wedding dress, centrepieces and have lunch with my mum. Over lunch I put away a whole plate of chips and a burger, I thought nothing of it but Kate (whos intuition has always been spot on) was shocked that 3 days before my wedding, when I have been so disciplined in my eating to maintain my figure I had eaten hot chips, looked at me like she knew something was up. As we loaded up the car to make our way out to my parents house my phone rang. It was my doctor, I was 6 weeks pregnant! I played it cool, but as we hit the road for the 2 hour car trip I couldn't contain myself and I blurted out "I'M PREGNANT". My mum almost swerved off the road and my best friend who was sitting in the back seat behind me kicked me and said, "you waited till we were in the car to tell us!"

I asked them both to remain tight lipped, Simon and I had both decided that we would tell our families after the wedding and our friends once we had hit 12 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment