Sunday 1 April 2012

All the single ladies

Single Mums............... I don't know how you do it!

There have been times when I have proclaimed I feel like a single parent. Simon's work / study schedule is hectic, he's up at 4:30am most mornings and home at 7:30-8pm, if we are lucky we see him Wednesday afternoons and Sunday's, the rest of the time, Cooper is usually in bed sound asleep by the time Simon is home. Most days I'm up at 7 and getting both Cooper and I ready for daycare and work, trying to get both of us dressed, fed and out the door by 7:40am. It's a rush, and I suppose I could get up earlier to make it less so, but as new mum's will know, sleep is the much higher priority.

Of an afternoon, I'm on pick up, I am one of the lucky ladies though, who has childcare facilities at work so it's nice and easy, when I get home it's a chaotic mess of organising dinner for Simon and I, lunches and back packs for the next day, dinner time for Cooper, bath and bedtime before 7pm. After Cooper is asleep, I do a quick surface clean, tidying toys, wiping down beaches and putting washing on or away. Simon will usually get home just as I finish getting dinner cooked which is perfect timing. By about 8:30pm the kitchen is cleaned and I lay out Cooper's and my own clothes for the next day as Simon gets himself organised or does a bit of study. This is a typical day and it wasn't until Simon headed off on a work conference that I realised even though he doesn't really help out a lot during the week at home, he really makes up for it on the weekend or times he does get home early. Just doing the little things while I'm busy with Cooper helps out immensely, he'll put a load of washing on, or fold a basket of clothes or it's nice to just have him watch Cooper so I can enjoy my shower or actually take the time to straighten my hair properly. It's in these instances that I think to myself I don't know how single mums do it, especially those with twins or more than one child!

I guess I just wanted to write a quick post about my admiration for single mums and I will never proclaim again that I do it alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment