Monday 10 June 2013

Great Expectations

So today I ventured out on my own while Simon watched the kids for 30 mins. While out I ran into a male friend from work who was shocked I was out without the bub and was full of nothing but praise for Simon for being home with both of them. That left me wondering, why  does society do that? Why I'm a horrible mother when I leave my baby at home with my husband so I can run errands, and why is my husband all of a sudden a hero for looking after 2 kids alone?! My husband is my partner, these children carry 50% of his DNA and he is 100% capable of helping raise them..... and for doing so he doesn't need a medal!

Why when a Dad attends a preschool recital or school assembly is he a "devoted and amazing dad" but a mum misses one single athletics carnival and she's labelled a bad mother, too career focused or that she doesn't care?

Why if Simon takes the tandem pram out with our two kiddos or simply pushes it around while I duck into a shop does he get looks of admiration or comments like "what a great dad"or "where is mum?" However when I'm baby wearing my daughter, while pushing a shopping trolley full of groceries with my son in tow I only get looks of disgust if one of them is crying or misbehaving. Where's my medal for managing such a task?

How come mums who stay at home to raise their children  are "wasting" their lives but those who go back to work are made to feel guilty about it?  It is such a double standard!

I don't understand society, I don't understand why women don't praise other women more often for whatever decision they make as a parent.

I want to put it out there - to all the mummy's I know, you are all amazing! to be able to stay at home and raise your children is A-MAZING, to head back to work and still manage to have time for your children is A-MAZING, to battle the shopping centre or grocery store with kids in tow is A-MAZING!

YES praise your husbands and partners for being hands on dads, it is lovely to see a father with his children, but don't sell yourselves short mammas, don't be made to feel guilty for the choices you make as a mother, you are doing the very best you can 100% of the time and its about time society recognises that.
My amazing husband is a great dad, but that doesn't mean I'm not just as great!

1 comment: