Saturday 16 June 2012

10 Things I said I'd never do.....

As a new mum and I'm sure many other mums (or dads for that matter) can relate, I made a mental list of things I swore I would never do as a parent, they may be things that drove you crazy as a kid when your mum or dad did them, they may be things you have seen other parents do in public or they may just be something that is important to you for no reason at all...... truth is we all made a similar list when we knew we were expecting.

Here's the thing - you can write that list with the very best intentions, but until you have that bundle of joy in your arms you don't know what you will do, and to be honest, I feel like I'm winging it every day as a parent and as such the list of things I said I'd never do is getting smaller and smaller and here are the top 10 that I've already broken:

1. Wear tights as pants (during those last few months of pregnancy and the first few months of mummy hood I lived in tights - and I'm ashamed to say, to this day I still wear them out as pants and not just under cute dress but as pants with a top and jacket)

2. Compare Cooper to other kids his age. Despite every ones child being different, it's really hard not to compare your child's motor skills or speech development. I think this is second nature though and something you really can't control so I don't feel so bad for not sticking to this one.

3. Lick my thumb and wipe off the dirt / food  or whatever it is sticking to my sons face

4. Leave the house in clothes that have either spit up, snot, or food rubbed into them

5. Use dry shampoo to disguise the fact I haven't washed my hair in 4 days, you don't realise that washing your hair is a luxury in those first few months.

6. Use the TV as a babysitter - This one is the most recent rule I've broken, 20 minutes of the wiggles = an uninterrupted chance to get something done without having Cooper follow me like a bad smell

7. Be one of those mums whose facebook status is always about her child.

8. Rush to the Doctors with every slight cough or sniffle - I must say I am getting better at this one, but for a while there I swear the receptionist at Florey Medical Centre new my name, number and medicare card details off by heart.

9. Spend an entire day in my pyjamas - no explanation necessary


And finally the number 10 thing I said I'd never do as a parent and have done:

10. Tell my son no one will ever love him as much as his mummy - I dated a guy once who's mum told her son right in front of me that no one will ever love him as much as she did - well it turned out i didn't, but I swore I'd never do that. I think it took me all of 1 or 2 days to break this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment