Thursday 26 May 2022

I think it's safe to say pre-teen now -- Happy 11th Birthday Coop

Someone hold me. The one that made me mum is 11!


It's honestly true what they say, the days are long but the years are short, and now we are on the precipice of the teenage years, there is no real need for me any more, though he may still want me he really is much more independent than even a year ago.


Over the past few months you've confided in me ever so sweetly about your first crush. You snuggled in for a cuddle and asked me not to laugh at you. We spoke about your crush and what you could do. We spoke about first and foremost respecting her, telling her how you feel, and being a good friend to her regardless of her feelings. I know that if you do that, any girl, be it this one or in the future will realise just how great you are mate. 

We've navigated some pretty interesting conversations coming out of the school playground, I won't embarrass you further by going in to depth but suffice it to say I hope more of these questions can be directed to your Dad in the future. 

Like Zoe we have our fair share of arguments. Unlike Zoe though, they are less emotionally charged, it's more out of frustration over how I am "soooo much stricter" than your friends parents, I wont even entertain the idea of a mobile phone until high school, we don't allow the types of video games, you tube  or apps your friends may have and that makes it hard for you. 

So far the hardest part of parenting is loving you so much you know you are loved but also making sure you don't believe the world (particularly our world)  revolves around you. That's just it though - our whole world changed when you arrived. My life in particular is divided into BC (before Cooper) and AC (after Cooper). I am a completely different person to the one I was before you were born. We want to support you and encourage you and we try to, too hard sometimes I think, probably to the detriment of our own sanity (I'm hoping as an adult you'll read this and wonder just how we managed to do it all - I can tell you mate, we gave ourselves up these last few years for you and your siblings and that was with us setting boundaries and teaching you that YOU aren't the only important person in our family). You hate missing out because the other kids have something on or that I just don't have the energy left to make it happen - and that's the balancing act we juggle between you and your siblings.

You never stop trying to be right, or talking - I honestly have no idea how your teachers tolerate it.

You still really love school and learning, you're interests are more mature now though, learning about history and science. You are still super active, enjoying a range of sports and outdoor activities. Our weekends with you are firmly centred around sporting commitments and friends parties. I don't see that changing any time soon. 

Over this past summer you started up a little weekend business mowing lawns and doing yard work for pocket money. Unfortunately, that can only last so long when every spare moment you have is spent at training. No doubt you'll start back at it over the summer when the days are longer and you only have cricket to compete with.  

This year we also opened you up to music. Your Uncle Michael now spends time with you each week teaching you classical guitar. I just love watching you learn, hearing you pluck at the strings. It's magical. 


For now you still ask me to tuck you in each night, and even after that call to me "good night, see you in the morning" and it melts my heart. You still need a tight hug when you're frustrated but I actually don't remember the last time you reached for my hand to hold.

This year you opted for a very basic store bought ice cream cake for your autumn birthday..... I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad about not baking you one. I do hope though that I get to bake for you again next year. 

You'll never know how much I love you Coop. Thanks for making me a mum 11 years ago, it's been the best time of my life. 


11 –

  • Height: too tall .... 
  • Weight:37 kilo
  • Loves: your mates, sport, gaming and fishing
  • Best Mates: Liam, Lewis, Sam and Pax
  • Hates: Your sister cheating in games, your sister anywhere near you, your sister in general, having to miss something because we have other plans, capsicum, not being able to have your own mobile phone and screen time limits of 1 hour a day.
  • Favourite food: pizza – hands down, followed closely by Nachos or Buffalo wings
  • Biggest highlight of the year – Kiama treetops zip lining, Cairns and snorkelling the Great Barrier Reef, Fishing out on a boat with Darren and Paxton,  Most Improved Player for 2021 Hockey season. Champions of the 2021 Long weekend Hockey regional Carnival and your first behind in AFL.

No comments:

Post a Comment